The free summer classic rock series is in its 13th year
Detroit, Michigan (May 10, 2018) – The 13th annual Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront concert series returns for another rock-filled summer of legendary songs and iconic bands. The free concert series kicks off Friday, July 13 from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. and runs for six consecutive Fridays throughout the summer.
The Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront concert series brings some of rock and roll’s most recognizable stars to Detroit each summer, and gives local Detroit talent the chance to headline each show as an opening act for each concert.
The 2018 Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront schedule:
- July 13 – Vince Neil of Motley Crue has entertained rock fans independently and as the lead vocalist for rock band Motley Crue with hits likes “Dr. Feelgood,” “Girls, Girls, Girls” and “Home Sweet Home” for the last 30
- July 20 – Mount Clemens native and country-rock crooner Uncle Kracker has reached double-platinum success with his album, “Double Wide” and Billboard Hot 100 success with hits “Follow Me,” “Drift Away” and “In a Little “
- July 27 – Legendary rock group John Kay and Steppenwolf have released five albums since 1980 and boast sales in excess of 20 million units worldwide. Their best hits include “Feed the Fire” “Rock & Roll Rebels,” and “Hold “
- 3 – Starship featuring Mickey Thomas dominated 80s and 90s airwaves with hits like “Jane,” “We Built This City,” “No Way Out” and “Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now.” Mickey Thomas joined as Starship lead vocalist in 1979.
- 10 – Survivor released their first album in 1980 and is best known for their 1982 hit “Eye of the Tiger.” New lead vocalist Cameron Barton is now breathing new life into 80s hits “I Can’t Hold Back,” “High On You” and “The Search is Over.”
- 17 – War fuses elements of rock, funk, jazz, rhythm and blues to create sound of their own. They debuted to international success with the overall bestselling album of 1973, “The World is a Ghetto,” and have had continued success with hits “Spill the Wine,” “The Cisco Kid” and “Why Can’t We Be Friends?”
Detroit rockers are invited to help select the opening bands for each Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront concert through the WCSX Rockin’ Wars contest by voting for local bands as they compete for the opportunity to open as event headliners. Community members can watch videos of the contestants on www.wcsx.com and vote for their favorite artists until June 15. The top six contenders will be selected by a team of WCSX judges to open on the riverfront stage. The Rockin’ Wars finale party is open to the public on June 21 from 7-10 p.m. at Granite City Food and Brewery in the GMRENCEN.
Local Southeastern Michigan children between the ages of six and 16 will have the opportunity to compete in WCSX‘s My Kid Rocks!, a competition to rock out on the Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront stage. To enter, parents will need to upload a video of their child, or child’s band, performing a classic rock song to www.wcsx.com between June 11 and June 22. Judges will then choose up to 20 bands that WCSX listeners will vote for between June 22 and June 29. The top 10 bands will make it to round two and listeners will vote for their favorite bands between June 29 and July 6. The band with the most votes will perform during the 2018 Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront Concert Series.
WCSX and the GMRENCEN are proud to celebrate those who served their county with exclusive seating in Veteran’s Row. For a chance to be selected, veterans can log onto www.wcsx.com and fill out an online form sharing where he or she served or is currently serving.
Admission to the concerts is always free and no advance tickets are necessary. Viewing space is offered on a first-come, first-served basis and visitors are encouraged to arrive after 5 p.m. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own lawn chairs and blankets, but outside food, beverages and coolers are not permitted. Boaters on the Detroit River are invited to anchor near the riverfront and enjoy the view of the stage from the water.
Parking is available for $10 per vehicle at the GM surface lot at the intersection of St. Antoine and Atwater, adjacent to the GMRENCEN. Credit cards only.
About the GMRENCEN
The GMRENCEN, Detroit’s most iconic skyscraper, serves as the global headquarters for General Motors Co. Located along the international riverfront since 1977, the GMRENCEN reaches across 5.5 million square feet of prime real estate and is divided into seven interconnected towers of office, retail and lodging space and includes the adjacent Millender Center connected by skywalk. Welcoming more than 14,000 visitors and employees to the building each day, it features 30 eateries such as Andiamo Detroit Riverfront, Granite City Food & Brewery, and Joe Muer Seafood, two hotels including the 70-story Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center hotel and conference center, two People Mover stations and nearly
3.5 miles of RiverWalk views. The building also hosts the annual Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront concert series each summer. For more information, visit www.gmrencen.com and connect with the GMRENCEN on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Trip Advisor.